27 March 2011

Women of Mormondom

Thia week for the blog hop at Society Sunday I read the first chapter from a book called The Women of Mormondom. What I want to say about this chapter is WOW! what an inspirinng read. These women were compared to not only the original apostles but also the the ancient prophets Mr. Tullidge even called them phrophets. Of them he writes.
"Women with new types of character, ancient rather than modern; Themes ancient but transposed to our latter-day experience. Women with their eyes open, and the prophecy of their work and mission in their own utterances, who have dared to enter upon the path of religious empire-founding with as much divine enthusiasm as had the apostles who founded Christendom."
In my quest for greater faith I have used these women as examples, their lives have become more than stories lately, they have become friends. I have had my heart turned to my mothers as I have been studying the history of the Relief Society and found myself lacking. I have been given a legacy of faith through their trials, tears, and heartaches; service, love, and friendship. I fear that I have taken for granted the privilege I have of being a member of the Relief Society and have not been as useful an instrument as has been in my power. As women of the Relief Society we have an opportunity and obligation to come together and improve our community; whether it is the home community, ward community or wider community that needs improving. If we work together we have the ability to call down the power of Heaven that is lacking in too many lives. Many today want to do something big and many miss opportunities given because they seem insignificant and even I had fallen prey to this philosophy of men mingled with scripture. These women were not out to do something big, they just wanted to live thier lives in conformity to God's plan for them. This was just everyday life most of the time, occassionally they were called upon to act in extraordinary ways, but they had been prepared to do the big things He asked because they had practised with the little things. They knew His voice and had come to trust Him so it was easy to follow. I am thankful for the council to study the history of the Releif Society. Sister Beck truely is prophetic. I am incredibly greatful for the faith of these women and their examples. Their lives, though sometimes short and never easy, have been blessing women for generations.

2 comments:

Montserrat said...

I love how you said, "They had been prepared to do the big things He asked because they had practised with the little things." Such a true statement! How can we be expected to live the law of consecration if we can't first live the law of tithing? etc. Great post.

Ginger said...

I agree, Sister Beck is prophetic but so can you be. Don't be too hard on yourself. We learn line upon line. You have just had your eyes opened to a new line. Thank you for your words.