14 July 2009

Hand sewing

For the last two weeks I have been looking over forgotten projects and planning how to finish them. I did not remember how relaxing and fun it is to sew by hand. Lately I have been hurrying through projects on the sewing machine just to get them done not worrying very much about how they look. I forgot that I am actually good at sewing, especially by hand. I make beautiful quilts, clothing, and even toys when I take the time to slow down and use my hands instead of a machine. I am also able to do this and still spend time with my family and it takes very little concentration.

I have started a new scrap quilt made only from fabrics I already had at home and have designed (by this I mean copied most of a design I found online and changed it a little) a scout quilt that I am going to make for my husband for Christmas. I pulled out a quilt I pieced while I was pregnant with Lola and started to quilt after she was born, but put it away when I found out she could not be set down until she was asleep for the night. I am quilting the one now and then when I get cold, but it is too hot to have a quilt on my lap for too long. I am piecing the scrap quilt while I wait for the fabric for the scout quilt to come in the mail.

I have looked forward to the time when I could teach my daughter how to sew from the time I found out that my first baby was a girl. I thought that it would be a long time in the future even now because of time and the dexterity of the girls, but even my three year old can sew a running stitch if I thread the needle for her. I am really enjoying being able to teach them something that I am actually good at. We are having fun and I am really looking forward to them being able to finish something that they can actually use, such as a blanket for their doll or a toy.

I will post some pictures of the quilt that I am quilting now and the others as they come together. I love to document not just the end, but the process as well.

Sorry about the bad pictures, taking them by myself was not a good idea.


Here is a close up of the quilting.


Another close up.

No comments: