21 January 2011

I am not reading Gargantua and Pantagruel by Rabelais

After reading the biographical information about Rabelais and some reviews of his writing, I learned my lesson from Lysistrata., I have decided to skip this one. There is so much filth and evil surrounding me in the world I do not need to invite it into my home via television, radio, entertainment, magazines, or the books I read. I know there is value in the work or it would not have included in the collection, but I am not interested in what the world values only what God values and he is directing me away from it. Elder Dallin H. Oaks gave a talk in the October 2007 General Conference that has guided my choices since. In it he said, “We have to forgo some good things in order to choose others that are better or best because they develop faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and strengthen our families.” I can with certainty that this is not a “best”, it is not a “better”, and is not even a “good” so I will not be touching it. My purpose in using the “good, better, best” test can be found in Doctrine and Covenants section 133 verse 5, “Go ye out from Babylon. Be ye clean that bear the vessels of the Lord.” I can't do this if I actually invite Babylon into my home and mind through reading things like this. I am so thankful to have the Holy Ghost and living prophets to guide me.

No comments: